History of the Eugini Building



Since its erection in 1902, the Eugeni building on Pearl Street had long been a landmark within the center of Livingston Manor. Begun as a Shoe Repair building expansion allowed many other businesses to locate there.


Thanks to the Sullican County Historical Society and Fred Fries for searching and collecting Newspaper Articles associated with the Eugeni Building in Livingston Manor New York.

Harold Van Aken

 Note: Any reference to C Eugeni is Contanzo Eugeni, Carl Eugeni Sr. Father

9/30/1897, LMT [Livingston Manor Times

Theodore Anderson had purchased a lot on Pearl Street, opposite the Felix Donahue residence and was digging for the foundation for a new house. The lot was purchased from the Livingston Manor Manufacturing Company. [Carl Eugeni house]


9/22/1898, LMT

Theodore Anderson has sold his Pearl Street bakery to Peter B Akins for $500.


10/6/98, R [Sullivan County Record]

“Theodore Anderson has sold his bakery at Livingston Manor to lawyer Peter B Akins for $600.” 23-135


10/27/98, RRR [Roscoe Rockland Review]

“Peter B. Akins has removed his law office to the building recently purchased by him on Pearl Street. Mr. Akins has one of the neatest offices in town.” 16-194


1/16/1902, RRR

“The Peter B Akins cottage on Pearl Street was sold at foreclosure sale subject to a first mortgage January 4. It was bid in for P H Woolsey for $110.” 15-14


1/9/02, RRR

“Josiah C Brown has commenced digging the foundation for the part of the old school building that he bought. The lot he bought is adjoining the Peter B Akins lot on Pearl Street.” 15-14 [Constanzo Eugeni lot]


2/1/02, WR [Walton Reporter]

“J.C. Brown has purchased the Peter B. Akins building of P.H. Woolsey and intends to move it back from the street and remodel it. This improvement, together with the building which he is erecting on the lot adjoining, will add much to the appearance of Pearl Street.” 14-98


2/6/02, R

“J.C. Brown has bought the Peter B. Akins law office at Livingston Manor and will convert the building in a dwelling.” 16-25


5/25/11, LMT

I have opened a shoemaking shop in the Jos. Benton Building, River Street and am prepared to do all kinds of shoe repairing, also cleaning straw hats. – C Eugeni


10/16/14, RW [Republican Watchman]

“The Eugeni family have moved into the Fontana flat.”


1916-17, RW

“… The Court then took up the naturalization calendar. Abraham F Solomon, of New York City, appeared as representative of the government… The petitions of Constanzo Eugeni of Livingston Manor and Samuel Stein of Maplewood were ordered continued until next term…”


7/21/16, RW

“On Sunday afternoon the Manor Hose Company pulled off a clam bake in Hartig’s grove to about 40 members and invited guests. Chef Eugeni was the baker and needless to say the affair was a success.”


11/15/17, SCR [Sullivan County Review]

“C. Eugeni has purchased the house on lower Pearl Street from W.C. Woolsey, and is moving his family there this week. Cornelius Beasmer has moved into rooms in the Yonkers house from the house bought by Mr. Eugeni. Frank Fontana will occupy the rooms in the Fontana building vacated by Eugeni.” 16-79


11/ /17, RW

“C Eugeni has bought the house on lower Pearl Street of W R Woolsey and is moving his family there this week. He will also move his shoe shop to his new home from the Hoos building. Cornelius Beasmer, who has lived in the house, is moving to rooms in the Yonker building. Mr. and Mrs. Frank Fontana will occupy the rooms in the Fontana building, formerly occupied by Mr. Eugeni.” Loose


3/30/22, LMT

“Charles Wright and wife to Costanzo Eugeni, Rockland.” 44-25


10/11/23, LMT

“Among the new buildings which are already completed or are nearing completion is a two-story, double, handsome garage, erected by F M Merritt on his Pearl Street property; the two-story apartment house on Rock Avenue built by Mr. and Mrs. George Beland; store building on lower Pearl Street, erected by C. Eugeni and August Johnson’s double garage, two stories, back of his recently purchased residence on DuBois Street.” 67-116


10/11/23, LMT

C Eugeni has built a store building on his lot on Lower Pearl Street and will open the same in the near future stocked with a complete stock of jewelry.


11/15/23, LMT

C Eugeni has opened his jewelry and novelty store on Pearl Street with an attractive line of merchandise.


10/9/24, SCR

“Schwartz brothers have started to lay the foundation for a large garage on the lot between the Eugeni and Vredenberg places on Pearls Street, which they have been filling in with stone during the summer months [Shaver’s Mayflower building].  A concrete curb is being laid in front of the Hoos and Vredenburg places, preparatory to the laying of a concrete walk.” 22-55


11/18/26, SCR

“It is seldom that a flood and fire damage one’s property all in one night. The continued rains of Monday and Tuesday raised the Little Beaverkill until it overflowed its banks and poured about the Eugeni property on Pearl Street until crossing it was impossible except by boat.

“However, the water went down during the early evening and at about 2 a.m., as Harry Hartig was going home, he noticed smoke coming from the jewelry store of Mr. Eugeni. Upon investigation, he found the inside a mass of flames. The fire companies were called out and quickly extinguished the flames, but not until the store and its contents were badly damaged.

“Scarcely any of the fine stock was left unharmed. Mr. Eugeni has built up a fine business and damage at this time, when much holiday stock is in, makes a double loss. The loss is partly covered by insurance.” 24-1


11/18/26, LMT

“The interior of C. Eugeni’s jewelry store, located near main and Pearl Street was gutted by fire early yesterday morning, the blaze apparently starting from an overheated furnace in the back room.

“The building was surrounded by water from mid-afternoon until early in the evening, the Little Beaverkill only a short distance from the store, having overflowed its banks and the lower part of Pearl Street being flooded. The continued downpour alarmed even the old residents of the flooded section and preparations to salvage goods, in case of water high enough to undermine the buildings, were begun during the forepart of the evening.

“Mr. Eugeni had started to pack his stock of jewelry and high class novelties, and had the majority of the goods on the outside of the cases when the water began to recede according to report. Seeing that all danger of flood was past, he built up a coal fire in the hot air furnace which is located in the rear compartment of the one room building and left the place to dry out.

“It is supposed that an overheated pipe, metal walls and ceiling set fire to studding near the furnace with disastrous results.

“The fire was discovered about two o’clock by Harry Hartig who gave the alarm. Members of the two fire companies with their apparatus answered the call of the siren and turned streams from their hose on the blaze, quelling it but not before much damage had been done by its smoke and heat, which was accentuated by the water.

“Much sympathy is felt for Mr. Eugeni, whose loss will be considerable, although he is not able to reckon it until the visit of the adjusters.

“He came here from Newton, N.J., about 18 years ago and has built up a good business having gained the respect and confidence of the townspeople.” Loose


1/18/26-27, RW

“Mrs. George Rogers, who lives on Rural Route No 2, suffered an apoplectic stroke Monday afternoon while walking on Pearl Street in front of Eugeni’s store. She was taken to the store and then to the home of her sister, Mrs. Frank Simpson, where a physician pronounced her condition very serious. She has shown some little improvement.”


5/22/30, LMT

Chester Barnhart, aged about 65, and a native of Parkston, was sent to the county jail at Monticello Sunday by Justice Ernest Hawver, to serve a 30 day sebntenc3e for cashing a check on the Roscoe bank, when he had no funds in that institution.

Mr. Barnhart has served at least one term in state prison and is said to have spent a sizable part of his life in jail.

He came from Binghamton where he is said to have a wife and family and worked as operator of a ditcher for Fitzgerald Brothers Construction Company. It is said he was a fine workman. After drawing his wages last week, Barnhart proceeded to get drunk, and, when he had spent his money, drew a check on the Roscoe bank for $25 which he asked C Eugeni, jeweler and stationer, to cash, Mr. Eugeni considered a quarter of a grand pretty much to take chances with a stranger, so gave Barnhart $10 and told him to come back for the remainder. Finding after phoning the bank, that Barnhart had no funds, Mr. Eugeni swore out a warrant for his arrest before Justice Hawver, but he managed to evade Officer John McCune and leave town before he could be arrested.

Sunday Constable McCune got track of Barnhart’s whereabouts and went after him bringing him back from the Black Lake country and he was given the jail sentence and taken to Monticello at once.

Since his arrest it has been brought to the attention of the authorities that he had given a rubber check to at least one other business place in town, besides borrowing small amounts from several old acquaintances, and it is probable that further charges will be pressed against him at the expiration of his jail sentence.

Barnhart lived here about twenty-five years ago, his first wife and family of children, now grown, being at present residents of Jersey City.

Mr. Eugeni would hot have given the many any cash on the check except that he had boarded at the home of Willard Vredenburgh, next door to the Eugeni family, while here, and he had come to know him casually as an old resident and one familiarly known here.


5/23/30, RW

“Chester Barnhart, a resident of Binghamton, was arrested Sunday by Constable John McCune at Dahlia, where he formerly lived, and after a trial before Justice Ernest Hawver, of this village, was taken to the Sullivan County jail at Monticello to serve 30 days on charges preferred by C Eugeni, Livingston Manor Jeweler and stationer, on whom Barnhart passed a bad check. It is reported that Barnhart played the same game in at least one other Manor business place and that further charges on these counts will be pressed against him on his release.”


5/29/30, LMT

Ten young people will be graduated from the Livingston Manor High School next month, according to Principal George J Anderson.

They are; Edward Myers, who has won the highly prized title of valedictorian, Morris Weiner, salutatorian, Helen Myerson, Harriette Beattie, Madelyn Chapman, Evelyn Decker, Irene Wood, Walter Seeley, Robert Denman and Carl Eugeni.

The evening of Tuesday, June 24, has been chosen as the occasion for the commencement exercises which will be held in Island Park Casino. Ellsworth Baker, well-known attorney of Monticello and Hurleyville, will address the graduates.

Commencement is always an event in any community, a combination of civic and family pride making it the outstanding occasion of the year when “yours and ours” mean about the same.

The ten young people who are finishing our school this year are a credit to the community and we cannot but feel that the community owes them a good sized share of enthusiastic attention in their graduation from high school.

The class has chosen green and white for the class colors and the white carnation for the class flower.

Morris Weiner is class president, Evelyn Decker vice president, Harriette Beattie secretary, Robert Denman treasurer, Principal George Anderson being the faculty advisor.

Walter Seeley is the class historian, Evelyn Decker class prophet, Irene wood will have the writing and reading of the class will, Helen Meyerson will enthuse as class poet and Robert Denman will cure all ills as class doctor.


6/26/30, LMT

The Junior High School commencement exercises held in the school auditorium last Thursday evening. Were well attended by the parents and friends of the graduates. This was the first Junior High commencement to be held in the Manor and was highly successful.

Much credit is due to Mrs. Grace Bouton, member of the faculty, who painstakingly drilled the students and arranged the entire program.

Marie Husch delivered the salutary address, Sophie Kahn being the valedictorian.

The class will was read by Ellamae Myers and was very clever and amusing. Isadore Chavis read an essay, choosing as his subject, Prominent Men, and Maude Barker read the class history, while Harriette Sherwood, class prophet, predicted many delightful events for her classmates.

Luella Merritt and Ellamae Myers sang a duet and Luella played a piano solo. Lois Eugeni played a solo in place of her sister, Eva, who was to have played, but who suffered a broken arm while at play a couple of weeks ago.

Members of the class are; Sophie Kahn, Ellamae Myers, Eva Eugeni, Winifred Hartig, Isadoree Chavis, Maude Barker, Harriette Sherwood, Irene Moutoux, Earl Reynolds, Rose Schwartz, Marie Husch, Luella Merritt and Ida Winograd.


6/26/30, LMT

Ten seniors received their diplomas Tuesday evening at the commencement exercises of the Livingston Manor High School, held at Island Park, the program being a very interesting one, possibly a slightly better proportioned mixture of the serious attitude of the high school graduate leaving school days behind with the effervescent comedy of youth, than is generally obtained at such an outstanding event in community life.

After the five girls and five young men had marched onto the rostrum to the strains of the processional march, played by Miss Anna Siegel and taken their places in a semi-circle, arranged amidst a charmingly wrought color scheme of green and white, the class colors, blended with pink and white carnations and roses, the work of the juniors.

Morris Weiner, delivered the salutation, which met with much applause and was extremely clever and interesting.

The class history, by Walter Seeley was also enthusiastically received by the large audience, with amusing references to school life, perhaps the most generally amusing of which was the reference to Prof. Anderson’s new car with special bucket seat for Acey, the janitor.

After a violin solo by Morris Meyerson, Bob Denman, the class doctor, in his address advised raw sausages “mushy Weiners” to be exact – as his prescription to one of the young lady seniors.

Irene Wood, in her prophecy, made many, many amusing prognostications, and predicted a bright future for all her classmates. Helen Meyerson, class poet, read an amusingly clever poem, and Evelyn Decker, in her reading of the will, made some amusing bequests among which was that of Big Ben to Miss Mills, that she may wake up on time; a “gil” to Nettie Cammer in case her lungs became weak; a book on dancing to Mr. Benjamin athletic director and to Mr. LaCroix, commercial teacher, stilts to get higher up in the world.

Helen Meyerson than read the prize essay, on which she received the prize offered by Amber and Amber for the best English work in the high school during the year. She chose as her subject “The Romance of Music.”

Ellsworth Baker, well known Monticello attorney, delivered the address to the graduates, giving an interesting and amusing talk, interspersed with anecdotes of his own school days.

Edward Myers, 16-year-old valedictorian, is worthy of more than honorable mention for his clever and well delivered valedictory.

The presentation of diplomas by District superintendent of Schools Charles S hick, was accompanied by a short talk to the members of the class, which was well received. Supt. Hick also presented to Miss Meyerson her award for the prize essay.

Dancing followed the exercises, music being furnished by Carcon Kay’s Red Peppers.

Members of the class are; Edward Myers, Morris Weiner, Irene Wood; Helen Meyerson, Evelyn Decker, Harriette Beattie, Madelyn Chapman, Bob Denman, Carl Eugeni and Walter Seeley. Principal George Anderson acted in the capacity of faculty advisor to the class.


9/13/30, RW

“Miss Ressie Smith, who has been employed by C Eugeni on photographic work through the season, has completed her work


12/17/31-32, RW

“A regular meeting of Manor Hose Company was held in the hose rooms on Monday evening which was largely attended. Carl Eugeni, assisted by E K Homer served goulash with spaghetti after the business meeting.”


1/14/32, LMT

“C. Eugeni has the foundation laid and the two-by-fours up for an addition to his store building on Pearl Street. It is understood he will add a new line to his present stock.” 31-2


4/2/32, LMT

Carl Eugeni has secured a position as Sullivan County representative of the American News Company, dealers in stationery, magazines, books, office supplies, toys, school supplies, novelties, etc. He entered on his new duties last Monday, when he visited the New York office of the company. He will work out of the Manor, having Sullivan, Ulster, Orange, Dutchess and Putman counties as his territory.


6/2/32, LMT

C Eugeni is building a 14 foot addition on his Pearl Street store building, giving him 34 feet frontage. The addition runs the full depth of the building. The entire front is new and will make a very fine building. Mr. Eugeni has not as yet announced what line of merchandise he will carry in addition to his present line of stationery, Jewelry, novelties, etc.


5/19/32, LMT

C Eugeni is building a 14 foot addition on his Pearl Street store building, giving him 34 feet frontage. The addition runs the full depth of the building. The entire front is new and will make a very fine building. Mr. Eugeni has not as yet announced what line of merchandise he will carry in addition to his present line of stationery, Jewelry, novelties, etc.


6/2/32, LMT

C Eugeni is building a 14 foot addition on his Pearl Street store building, giving him 34 feet frontage. The addition runs the full depth of the building. The entire front is new and will make a very fine building. Mr. Eugeni has not as yet announced what line of merchandise he will carry in addition to his present line of stationery, Jewelry, novelties, etc.


9/15/32, LMT

Carl Eugeni was in Binghamton on Thursday and brought back a load of shoes for the Eugeni shoe store. He and his father, C Eugeni, went after another load on Monday.


9/22/32, LMT

C Eugeni has put in a line of shoes at his Pearl Street store. Mr. Eugeni will cater to the shoe-buying public with different priced lines of shoes to suit the needs of all pocketbooks.


1/3/33, LMT

Mr. and Mrs. C Eugeni, daughters Eva and Lois, son Carl and Miss Alice Kniffen of Roscoe, spent Monday in Lake Mohawk and Morristown, N.J.


5/18/33, LMT

“Carl Eugeni is playing with the Zahorik Orchestra at Frank Rose’s Saturday night dances, which are drawing food-sized crowds.” 65-101


6/1/33, LMT

Mrs. C Eugeni, Eva and Lois Eugeni, Carl Eugeni and Miss Alice Kniffen motored to Middletown and Walden Sunday. They took in the air meet at Walden.


6/29/33, LMT

Miss Alice Kniffen, daughter of Daniel J Kniffen, Jr., of Roscoe, became the bride of Carl Eugeni, son of Mr. and Mrs. C Eugeni, of this village, Tuesday morning at the Congregational Parsonage, Roscoe, the Rev. Carl Yettru performing the ceremony.

The bride and groom were attended by Miss Eva Eugeni, sister of the groom, and John Steenrod, both of this village.

The bride was gowned in white silk organdy, with hat and shoes of white and carried a bouquet of June roses and sweet-peas. Her bridesmaid wore nile green silk with matching accessories and carried white roses.

The ceremony was performed in the presence of a few intimate friends and relatives, after which the bridal party came to the Eugeni home in Livingston Manor, where a wedding luncheon was served, at which the following were present; Daniel J Kniffen, Sr., Daniel Kniffen, Jr., Cecil Clark, Mr. and Mrs. C Eugeni, Misses Eva and Lois Eugeni, Mr. and Mrs. Irving Avery, Mr. and Mrs. Axel Hanson, Mrs. Frank Fontana, Misses Genevieve and Theresa Fontana, John Steenrod.

Mr. and Mrs. Eugeni left for a brief wedding trip in the groom’s car, after which they will start housekeeping in an apartment already furnished in the Eugeni house on Pearl Street. The groom is in the shoe business with his father and is one of the town’s popular young men.

The Times extends congratulations.


6/29/33, LMT

Misses Eva and Lois Eugeni and Mrs. Axel Hanson gave Mrs. C Eugeni a surprise party Saturday in honor of her birthday. Mrs. Eugeni received many presents and everyone enjoyed the occasion. Only members of the family and a few close friends were present.


7/6/33, LMT

Mr. and Mrs. Carl Eugeni returned Friday night from their wedding trip and are housekeeping in an apartment in the Eugeni house on Pearl Street. The boys gave them a send-off on Saturday evening and Carl came across with the cigars, etc.


9/7/33, LMT

Mrs. C Eugeni and daughters, Eva and Lois, are visiting at Newton, N.J., for a few days. Mr. and Mrs. Carl Eugeni took them down Wednesday. They will return Sunday.


10/12/33, LMT

Mrs. C Eugeni, daughters Eva and Lois, and Mr. and Mrs. Carl Eugeni spent Sunday in Newton, N.J.


11/2/33, LMT

Carl Eugeni has this week been moving the household goods of his father-in-law, William Kniffen, here from Roscoe. Mr. Kniffen will make his home with a brother at Cortland.


11/2/33, LMT

Carl Eugeni was ill with a severe cold several days the last of the week.


11/23/33, LMT

Mr. and Mrs. Carl Eugeni entertained their card club last Wednesday evening at their home on Pearl Street. Members of the club reside in Callicoon Center, Hortonville, Roscoe and Livingston Manor


6/7/34, LMT

During yesterday afternoon’s severe electrical storm, lightning, apparently following the wire from the aerial into the Willard Vredenbergh residence on Pearl Street, blew out the fuses, broke the glass in the front of the electric meter box and put the radio out of commission, damaging it pretty much.

Fuses in Glen Shaver’s residence on Meadow Street were also blown out by the same flash, the Shaver radio also refusing to play, although it is thought probable only tubes were damaged here. Carl Eugene house]


1/11/34, LMT

Carl Eugeni has leased of Eugene H Bouton the gas station just north of the bridge into Jacktown, operated for several years by Julius Schurig, who recently moved into his own place across the street. Mr. Eugeni will handle Socony products


1/18/34, SCR

Carl Eugeni, has leased of Eugene H. Bouton, the gas station just north of the Jacktown bridge. The station was operated for several years by Julius Shurig, who recently moved into his own place across the street.” 13-4


12/28/33, LMT

Mr. and Mrs. Carl Eugeni, Mrs. D Eugeni and daughters, Eva and Lois, spent Friday at Lake Mohawk.


12/28/33, LMT

Lester White Post, American Legion, held a ladies; night Thursday evening for wives, mothers and sisters of veterans. Twenty women were in attendance, a spaghetti supper prepared by Carl Eugeni, with pumpkin pie, et cetera, was served by two men, under the direction of Charles Beasmer, commander of Lester White Post.


1/18/34, SCR

Carl Eugeni, has leased of Eugene H. Bouton, the gas station just north of the Jacktown bridge. The station was operated for several years by Julius Shurig, who recently moved into his own place across the street.” 13-4


9/6/34, LMT

Mr. and Mrs. Carl Eugeni, Misses Eva and Lois Eugeni, Mrs. C Eugeni and her brother, Austin Meeker, were in Newton, N.J., yesterday to attend the funeral of the elder Mrs. Eugeni’s brother-in-law Jesse Bell.


9/6/34, LMT

Carl Eugeini is still limping about as the result of a pinching between the bumpers of the Standard Oil Company’s Socony truck and Roscoe Maffett’s car Thursday, at the Eugeni filling station. Carl had just finished filling the tank of the Maffett car and was putting back the cap, when the gas truck came a little too “soon.” He had a lucky escape from serious injury.


12/13/34, LMT

Carl Eugeni has closed his gas station in Jacktown and will conduct a shoe store and repair shop in his father’s store on Pearl Street.


12/13/34, LMT

C Eugeni and son, Carl made a business trip to New Jersey points yesterday.


12/13/34, LMT

Dan Kniffen has purchased the filling station business of his son-in-law, Carl Eugene, in Jacktown and will conduct it in the future.


1/10/35, LMT

“The Livingston Manor Band, an organization of experienced players, which has been in existence for two months, was organized Tuesday evening at the regular meeting, with Charles Monteperto, of Liberty, as director.

“The band has at present 17 members and practices every Tuesday evening in the hose rooms at the firehouse. Anyone wishing to join may get in touch with Mr. Sherwood or Carl Eugeni. Three new members are expected to join very shortly and the organization wishes to offer its services to any village organization at any time during the winter months, with no renumeration.

“It is heard that in the summer season a series of outdoor concerts may take the place of the regular weekly practices.

“The members are; Charles Monteparto, Jesse Nield, Carl Eugenio, Charles Yaun, Eva Eugeni, Kenneth Sweeny, George Neumann, James Benson, Charles Fallon, Lois Eugeni, Ted Connelly, Harold DeVaughn, Joe Tempel, Leonard Sherwood.”


2/7/35, LR

“Mrs. James Prift has bought of Dan Kniffen the filling station business in Jacktown, formerly conducted by Carl Eugeni and is now in possession. Mr. Prift will conduct the business.” 41-107


6/6/35, LMT

Carl Eugeni and Charles Monteperto, band leader, of Liberty, were business callers in New York last Tuesday.


9/12/35, LMT

C Eugeni and daughter, Lois, spent Monday in New York City.


10/31/35, LMT

“The Eugeni house on Pearl Street has been sided with brick effect siding, greatly improving its appearance.” 68-4



Miss Eva Eugeni, who is staying at Lewbeach with Mrs. Harry Darbee, returned after a week at her home here.


12/3/36, LMT

Lois Eugeni has returned to school after a week’s illness with a severe cold.


5/6/37, LMT

Mrs. C Eugeni is confined to her home on Pearl Street with a severe cold.


3/11/37, LMT

Mr. and Mrs. Earl Bell, Mr. and Mrs. Esten Bell and son, Joseph, and two friends, of Newton, N.J., spent Sunday at the home of their aunt, Mrs. C. Eugeni. Miss Eva Eugeni, who is with Mrs. Harry Darbee at Lewbeach spent the weekend at home


6/15/39, LMT

“Entering through the side window and leaving no clues one or more thieves ransacked the jewelry department of the Carl Eugeni store early Thursday morning. It is estimated that over $300 in valuables was taken by the mysterious marauders.

“Carl Eugeni, Sr., trying his key in the door at 6:30 Thursday morning was surprised to discover the door open. Hurrying into the store it became immediately apparent that the place had been entered. BCI men, Lawson and Driscoll of Harris were called to take over the investigation.

“The store had been closed for the night at 10:15 P.M. Wednesday and it was during the eight hour interval between closing and opening that the robbery was committed. Entrance was made through the side window but displaying unusual confidence the burglars calmly opened the front door and used it as an exit.

“Police are sure that the next few days will throw light on the robbery that is the first since the early part of the winter.


10/27/39, LR

Fred Dutcher was named president of the Livingston Manor Hose Company No. 1 at the annual meeting of the organization recently…

Other officers named by No. 1 Company are William Ruf, vice president, Ralph Cutler, treasurer; Raymond Rose, secretary; Howard Schaefer, captain; Carl Eugeni, first lieutenant; Elmer Fullmer, second lieutenant; and Cecil Clark, Lambert DuMond, George Husch and Clifford Knise fire police.4/23/40, LMT


2/27/41, LMT

Mr. and Mrs. Kenneth Curry have both been confined to the house with flu. Miss Lois Eugeni was in the Curry office while they were ill.


5/15/41, LMT

In the display window of Claude Reynolds’ jewelry store is a flowering cactus of a rare variety, which has twenty buds. The large flowers are a brownish red and beautifully shaped. Mrs. C Eugeni has a beautiful cactus of the same variety in full bloom.


5/29/41, LMT

Carl Eugeni has taken the position of camp ranger at Beaverkill State Park for the summer and is already at work there.


6/12/41, LMT

Mr. and Mrs. Carl Eugeni are living for a few weeks in one of the cabins at the Beaverkill campsite, where Mr. Eugeni is camp ranger.


5/28/42, LMT

Carl Eugeni and Bill Wilson have commenced their duties at Beaverkill State Park.


9/23/43, LMT

A son, Carl Louis, was born on September 11 to Mrs. And Mr. Carl Eugeni at Mineola.


7/24/44, LMT

“George Bennett, 71 years old eccentric well known in this township, met death yesterday night when fire of mysterious origin destroyed the barn where he makes his home, on the rear of Mrs. Sarah Bouton’s residence opposite the LMCS. Firemen worked for more than an hour searching the burning embers before the body of the elderly man was discovered, burned beyond recognition and buried under the charred timbers.

“Earlier in the evening, Bennett reportedly was drinking in several local cafes and was taken to the barn by Policeman Clifford Applenalp. A short time later it was revealed Mrs. Bouton, who owns the property, saw two men trying to get into the barn. She made efforts to locate the police to have them removed as both men appeared intoxicated and she was afraid of fire….

“Mrs. Mildred Nicholas and Miss Francis Cummings who were passing on the street 11 o’clock saw the flames licking at the lower part of the structure and called a passing boy to give the alarm. A large crowd had gathered by the time firemen arrived, at which time the building was a mass of flames. Two lines of hose were laid and within a few minutes it was under control, although the building was reduced to a mass of rubble.

“A report spread through the crowd there might be three men buried in the debris and firemen worked in pulling over a mass of old clothing, mattresses and hay without result for some time and had concluded that the barn was empty.

“Former chief Leonard Sherwood was positive that he detected the odor of burning flesh and work was continued of [?] the debris. Discovery of the body was made by Raymond Rose and Carl Eugeni….

“Mr. Bennett was the son of William W Bennett and Hannah Walter of this state. His father came here from Ohio. George was born December 19, 1872 and had resided in this township for about 43 years. Survivors include a daughter in Downsville….” 33-111



7/3/47, LMT

Mrs. Carl Eugeni and sons spent three weeks with relatives at Island Park, L.I.


7/3/47, LMT

Miss Lois Eugeni of Mineola spent the weekend here with her parents.


9/18/47, LMT

The Eugeni family held a picnic Sunday at the Beaverkill campsite. The occasion was the birthdays of Carl Eugeni and his older son. Miss Lois Eugeni was home from Mineola for the day. Her sister Eva employed in a Liberty bank returned with her for a vacation.


12/25/47, LMT

Some damage was caused to Carl Eugeni’s car Saturday when it was backed into by one of Shaver’s trucks.


6/10/48, LMT

Miss Lois Eugeni of Mineola has been visiting her parents, Mr. and Mrs. C. Eugeni.


10/13/49, LMT

“Mrs. Carl Eugeni has returned after spending some time at Island Park, L.I., with her aunt, who had an operation on her eyes.”


11/24/49, LMT

Mrs. Carl Eugeni and Miss Eva Eugeni spent the week-end at Long Beach with Mrs. Eugeni’s aunt. Wallace Anderson of Manhasset spent the week-end here with his wife, who is with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. C Eugeni, Sr.


8/24/50, LMT

Miss Mary Connolly of New York is spending a month with her brother, George Connolly at his apartment in the Carl Eugeni house.


8/24/50, LMT

Mrs. C Eugeni, Sr., and daughter, Eva, and Mr. and Mrs. Carl Eugeni drove to Island Park, L.I., Sunday. They brought back Mrs. Wallace Anderson and little son, who will visit her parents Mr. and Mrs. C Eugeni for two weeks.


12/21/50, LMT

Fire Chief Walter Seeley, Charles Fallon and Carl Eugeni were in Middletown Monday night attending a lecture on civilian defense regarding the atom bomb, incendiary fires caused by bombing and in general civilian defense.


1/11/51, LMT

Daniel Kniffen, who has been living at Roscoe, spent ten days with his daughter, Mrs. Carl Eugeni and is now at the Benson nursing home in Jeffersonville.


6/24/51, LMT

Mr. Carl Eugeni was elected as president of the Livingston Manor Rod & Gun Club at the annual meeting held Monday night. Other officers elected were vice president Miles O’Donnell; L Sherwood secretary; and Fred Vantran as treasurer.

Mr. Thomas Smith was named as a delegate at large to the county and state meetings.

Mr. Frank Budd was authorized to organize a rifle team. Movies were shown and a spaghetti supper was served by Otto Hoos and several assistants.


6/14/51, LMT

Mrs. Frank Fontana, Sr., and son Ted, Mrs. Carl Eugeni and sons visited Mrs. Fontana’s daughter, Mrs. George Geckle, Sunday at Delhi. Mr. Geckle, who has been seriously ill for some weeks is improving.


8/16/51, LMT

“Miss Eva Eugeni, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Constanzio Eugeni, died at Mary Emogene Basset Hospital, Cooperstown Wednesday, August 15. She had been admitted to the hospital on August 7th in a critical condition, and submitted to major surgery on the 11th.

“Eva was born in Livingston Manor on November 12, 1915, her parents being Constanzo and Minnie Meeker Eugeni. She was liked by everyone having a pleasing personality and a spirit of helpfulness and cheer to all with whom she came in contact.

“She was employed as proof clerk at the National Bank of Liberty. Surviving are her parents, a brother and a sister, Mrs. Wallace Anderson of Floral Park, L.I.” 4-12, 6-53


10/18/51, LMT

Mr. and Mrs. Wallace Anderson and son David of Floral Park, Long Island are visiting Mrs. Anderson’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. C Eugeni.


6/19/52, LMT

Mrs. Carl Eugeni, with Mr. and Mrs. Otis Porter of Middletown, attended the funeral in Cortland Thursday of Mrs. Eugeni’s uncle, Arthur Kniffen. Mr. Kniffen who lived here for a time and in Roscoe was well-known here.


9/25/52, LMT

A daughter was born on September 21 at Liberty Loomis Hospital to Mr. and Mrs. Wallace Anderson, Mrs. Anderson is the former Louise Eugeni.


4/2/53, LMT

C Eugeni, who has been in poor health the past few months, has suffered a relapse and is now confined to bed.


7/1/54, LMT

Lester Fredenburgh of Livingston Manor is held under bond of $50 to answer to a charge of being a hit and run driver on the complaint of John Will of River Street. The accident took place on Pearl Street in front of the Carl Eugeni residence, about 11:35 p.m. on Saturday night.

Complaint of the accident was received by the New York Water Board Police who subsequently located and arrested Fredenburgh in his car in the rear of an Inn on Route 17 near the Manor. Witnesses reportedly identified Fredenburgh as the driver of the car that got away, but the defendant denies that his car was involved and asserts he can prove that he was at the Inn for several hours before and after the accident.

He will be arraigned before magistrate Kenneth Curry on Saturday, July 3.


3/10/55, LMT

Funeral services for Daniel J Kniffen, who died at the Anderson nursing home in Jeffersonville on March 4, were held Sunday afternoon at the Russell Chapel, rev. Arthur Gebhard officiating.

Mr. Kniffen, whose age was 83, was born at Coxsackie, son of Daniel G and Ruth Ann Powell Kniffen. For many years he worked at his trade of stone mason on Long Island, later residing for several years at Roscoe. A daughter, Mrs. Carl Eugeni of Livingston Manor and a brother Herbert Kniffen at Roscoe are the only near survivors.

Interment was made Monday in the Phillipsburg Cemetery near Middletown.


8/11/55, LMT

Mr. Austin Meeker of Johnson City has been visiting his sister, Mrs. Eugeni.


6/21/56, LMT

The first meeting of the Livingston Manor Midget League was held last Saturday at the High School field with 42 boys between the ages of 8 and 12 years attending. The group has been divided into 4 teams as follows;

Team A – Bill Roberts, Frank McKune, Lee Denman, Ken Barkin, Al Wehner, Mike Dolgas, Jim Denman, Gary Rose, Jim Sherwood, John Hoos and Richard Dolgas.

Team B – is composed of Mike Schwartz, Larry Tompkins, Billy Krupp, Stan Naumovitz, Bob Bertholf, Jim Sherwood of DuBois Street, Tom Vick, John Krupp, William Bertholf, Paul Seeley and Dean Fuller.

Team C has its present roster Jeff Bailey, Dan Turk, Clinton Odell, John Hauptfleish, Ted Turk, Len Welch, Joe Hauptfleisch, Rich Welch, Tom Sprague, and Frank Odell.

Team D is made up of Tim Smith, Bob Hendrickson, Keith Buck, Keith Owen, Joe Dayton, Bob and Carl Eugeni, Walt Weigand, Gene Porter and Richard McKune.

The above roster are tentative and trades will eventually be made to assure even competition. Practices are slated this week and all boys that haven’t turned out yet are urged to do so.


6/28/56, LMT

“Losses estimated in excess of $100,000 was caused Saturday night about 9:45 o’clock, when fire of undetermined origin swept through the one story building containing the Central Pharmacy, the Victory Chain, Inc., adjoining, and destroyed $4,000 in bedroom furniture owned by Jacobs Home Appliances, in a storeroom in the rear of the two stores. Damage was estimated in excess of $1,000 was caused to the roof of the Manor Theater.

“At times the flames extended close to 75 feet in the air, in a bubbling burst of flames and the heat was so intense that it menaced the buildings in the opposite side of Main Street.

“More than 150 firemen from various localities soon had 16 lines of hose on the burning building but it was close to 11:30 o’clock before the fire was under control.

“By a strange coincidence a smoldering blaze in feed bags was discovered only a few minutes in a barn nearly in the rear of the Newman building on Main Street. This blaze was extinguished with only slight damage by Lawrence Jersey, who has a taxi stand nearby, and Paul Tuttle.

“Manor firemen and apparatus under Chief Carl Eugeni responded in a few minutes after the alarm came in, but were handicapped at first by lack of pressure and the rapid spread of the flames. Firemen and apparatus responded from Liberty, Roscoe, and White Sulphur Springs.

“The fire was apparently discovered by Samuel Colin one of the proprietors of the Central Pharmacy, who smelled smoke from a back room, opening into the store. As he entered the room, he was met by a burst of flames and he immediately called for help after ineffective use of a fire extinguisher.

“The building which housed the pharmacy and market was owned by Kutcher and Bognar of Monticello and was originally built as a community center but was never used for that purpose and later was remodeled into stores. Loss to the building is estimated about $40,000.

“Entire contents of the Central Pharmacy and Victory Chain store were destroyed. The rear of the building is a mass of charred timbers and the intense heat melted iron beds in the storage room, gutting the entire rear of the building.

“Mr. Charles Smith, Sr., vice president of the Victory Chain, Mr. Herman Asma of Norwich, an auditor for the firm, and the district manager, Clifford Poley were looking over the contents of the ruined market Tuesday, which was reported as a complete loss. It was estimated that the company lost $30,000 in the fire.

“While it is understood that it will be difficult to find a store building this summer, it was suggested that if a likely place, the company may soon erect a supermarket in the Manor. Mr. Smith admitted that such a venture had been discussed since the fire but that it will depend largely upon available locations and adaptability, as well as price.

“The Central Pharmacy, where fire loss was estimated at about $25,000, may be located temporarily in another location if it can be found. It is presumed that another store may be constructed on property owned by Mr. Cohen and Mr. Fishman on Main Street at some time in the future.

“Mr. Hyman Jacobs estimated his loss at $4,000 from bedroom furniture moved by truck into the storehouse in the rear of the building only that afternoon of the fire.

“There were various rumors concerning the origin of the fire which might have incendiary but there was no evidence to support such a theory. Reportedly in the past, drunks and vagrants have gained access to the store room in the rear which connected with the two stores and plenty of empty beer cans were thrown about the grounds in the rear of the building, a part of which had been used by the Manor Theater for free parking of patrons.

“Outside, firemen responded to the fire were handicapped by cars parked on the street by irresponsible people and it took one Liberty fire apparatus and crew about 20 minutes to reach the building.” 33-85


9/6/56, LMT

After three regular season defeats to the league leading Cubs, the Yanks won the sudden death playoff game last Wednesday 6-5.

Carl Eugeni pitched shutout ball for 5 innings and his Yankee teammates backed him up with timely hitting and fielding.

The Cubs who hadn’t played a game for 10 days previously came to life in the 6th and final inning to score 5 runs and almost pull the game out

The game was one of the nicest played this year and it was a fitting climax to the first season of midget league baseball.


12/27/56, LMT

Little David Anderson while playing on Christmas day fell on a pop bottle, cutting one of his hands quite badly. Seven stiches were required to close the wound.


5/8/57, LMT

Mrs. Carl Eugeni has taken a position in the meat department of the Liberty Victory Store.


6/27/57, LMT

The following are the tentative team rosters as the second season of Midget League play begins. After the first three games for each team, a meeting of the managers and coaches will be held to make any trades that are necessary to assure equal competition.

A backstop has been erected on the east field of the high school and a snow fence will be put up so that the midget league will have their own field to play and practice on. If for some reason any boy hasn’t enrolled yet, he may do so by giving his name to Irving Avery or Jim Farrell.

Dodgers; Mgr. Gil Decker; Coaches; Fred Krupp and Jim Dolgas

John Roser, Bob Eugeni, Bill Roberts, Dan Turk, Mike Schwartz, Mike Decker, Tim Smith, Tom Allen, Stan Naumovitz, Steve Emery, Steve Baldwin.

Yankees; Mgr. Harry Sarles; Coaches; Art Gebhard & John DuMond.

Jim Krupp, George Will, Fred Fries, Robert Loftus, Bruce Allen, Jim Sarles, Walter Wolcott, Tom Vick, Joe Dayton.

Cardinals; Mgr. Joe Hauptfleisch; Coach; Al Schleiermacher & Lambert DuMond

Kieth Schleiermacher, Charles Schleiermacher, Jeff Bailey, Bill Roser, Bill Krupp, Al Schleiermacher, John Hauptfleisch, Joe Hauptfleisch, John Krupp, Ken Barkin.

Cubs; Mgr. Bill Husch; Coaches Bob Withers & Dick Sturdevant

Skip Hodge, James Mollinoix, Herb Mollinoix, Junior Urban, Bob Withers, Gene Eck, Tom Kelly, William Roser, Al Wehner

Monday July 1; Cardinals vs. Dodgers; Wednesday, July 3; Cubs vs. Yankees.


7/4/57, LMT

Mr. and Mrs. Carl Eugeni and son Bobby drove to Stony Point on Sunday to pick up their son, Carl. The Mural Tylers and daughter Joan drove down to pick up their daughter Josephine and the Fred Emery’s drove down to pick up their daughter Linda, on the way down the families stopped for a picnic lunch together.


7/25/57, LMT

Little Anderson, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. W Anderson was crossing the street in front of the Eugeni store on Pearl Street on Monday afternoon and ran into a car coming down from Main Street. Outside of a bruised arm and leg the child was uninjured.


1/30/58, LMT

The Manor J V squad rolled along undefeated Friday night by trouncing Youngsville 42-15. Led by the rebounding of Bob Hendrickson and Carl Eugeni, the J V team kept its slate untarnished. The shooting of Barry Foster and John Luftus featured the reserves attack. Rich Robinson and Rich Seeley looked good under the boards.

The J V team this is is blessed with some tall men. Rich Robinson and Carl Eugeni tower well over 6’ and Bob Hendrickson stands an even 6’ tall.

The work of Bill Vick and Jim Dolgas at the guard positions has been outstanding to date. They have a fierce desire to win and play very determined ball. Alf Welch gives the team a player who can set from the side and drive up the middle.

The team spirit is excellent. All fifteen members of the team contribute to winning basketball. There are six games left and the team will be doing their best to go on winning.


2/6/58, LMT

Led by the sharpshooting of Alf Welch the Livingston Manor J V squad defeated Narrowsburg by a 40 to 32 count. Welch connected five consecutive set shots from the side during the first half of the game, giving the Manor team a 25 to 13 half time lead. The usual tremendous rebound work of Hendrickson and Eugeni, plus the hustle of Jim Dolgas and Bill Vick marked the J V Victory.

The reserves played most of the second half and matched baskets with the Narrowsburg squad. Rich Seeley and Rich Robinson played especially well during this period. The J V squad is still undefeated having posted their 9th straight win in league competition.


11/11/58, MDR [Middletown Times Record]

Livingston Manor and good basketball have come to mean the same thing ever since Si Pesavento packed his bags and left Chester to coach the Wildcats in the Western Sullivan League.

Pesavento pulled up stakes at Chester in 1951. In the six years he has been coaching the sport at the manor, his teams have compiled an amazing 82-14 record.

Pesavento floored one of his “better” quintets last season. The Wildcats won the league championship with a 13-1 record and posted a pair of “outside” wins.

Livingston Manor lost nine of the 10 players on last year’s varsity squad, including four starters. This, on paper, the Wildcats don’t appear to be much of a threat. But opposing coaches have long since stopped underestimating Pesavento.

Only regular back is Peter Mavoides, senior forward and a shortie at 5’8”. We expect Pete to do more scoring for us this season,” said Pesavento. “He’ll probably run the ball club.

Filling the sneakers of graduated Mike Fisher, Bill Fredenburgh, Dan Hartling ad John Welsh won’t be easy, but Pesavento can “tap” the best jayvee squad in the league last year for replacements.

In fact, the Manor jayvees have been every bit as tough to beat as the varsity since Norm Shultz took over as coach. Under Shultz, the Wildcats cubs have won two straight jayvee championships while losing only one game in the last two years.

Pesavento is counting on Bill Vick and Jim Dolgas to successfully make the jump to the varsity this season. Both are juniors and probably start at the guards.

Rich Robinson, a 6’1” soph., has the edge at center. Other players who are battling for regular work are Al Hyzer, Al Welsh, brother of last year’s dependable; Rich Seeley, Barry Foster and Carl Eugeni, who at 6’2” represents the most height on the squad.

Pesavento admits, “This is the worst outlook I’ve had in 11 years of coaching,” but adds, “So far I’m quite happy with the boys. They’re willing to learn and I think we’ll win more games than we’ll lose.”

The Manor is listed to play a 16-game schedule


7/2/59, LMT

Mr. Contanzo Eugeni died at his home on Pearl Street Tuesday at 6 p.m. after a long illness at the age of 76.

He was born in the city of Ascoli Piceao, Italy, December 15, 1882, coming to this country in 1900.

Mr. and Mrs. Eugeni came to Livingston Manor in May of 1911 from Newton, N.J., and have resided here for the past 48 years.

Surviving are his wife, Minnie; son Carl; daughter Lois, also 4 grandchildren. Burial in Orchard Street Cemetery.


11/19/59, LMT

Coach Presavento’s varsity team and Coach Schultz’s junior varsity team opened up the 1959-60 basketball with a home game against St. Joseph on Tuesday, November 17. The big Wildcats have veterans Vick, Foster, Seeley, Robinson and Eugeni returning to the lineup this year. This means that they have an experienced team and the chances look good. The junior Wildcats will have many new players as they seek for their fifth straight championship. The first league game for the Wildcats will be on Thursday November 25 at a home game against Tri-Valley.


1/7/60, LMT

“On Sunday evening, the Youth Fellowship met at the Presbyterian Church at 7 o’clock and several of the members accompanied by the Rev. Mr. Gebhard, Mr. and Mrs. George Hillriegel and Mrs. Irving of Monticello, attended a concert of sacred music presented by the Delaware County Men’s Chorus at the United Church of Roscoe. They were Rebecca Banks, Doris Pelton, Thomas Sprague, Gary Rose, Robert Eugeni and Paul Seeley.” 48-61


3/24/60, LMT

Last Friday night the Livingston Manor Varsity Basketball Team brought their season to a glorious end by taking the title to the Class C Section Nine basketball tournament. As in their previous game with Chester they left Manor fans limp with fear that they might lose right up to the closing whistle.

Strong team work showed when Manor took off scoring early in the game leaving Tri-Valley trailing the rest of the way. A last quarter rally by the Tri-Valley Bears wasn’t enough to get them on top, but had the fans filled with worry until the final buzzer. Friday’s game gave manor their third win over Tri-Valley this season.

Livingston Manor ended up the best team in four counties with a perfect season record of 19 wins and no losses. The Tri-Valley team lost four games during the 1959-60 season in the Western Sullivan League.

The Wildcats established a four point lead in the first quarter finishing with a 14-10 score. At the end of the second quarter play they had increased their lead to eight points and started th second half with a score of 33- 25.

Both teams scored 14 points in the third quarter and it looked like the Manor might have an easy win. The picture changed, however, in the last quarter when the Bears rallied and started to score, but the Wildcats managed to keep the upper hand to become the champs.

Manor’s high scorer was Foster with 18 points; Robinson 10, DuMond 8, Vick 7, Seeley 6, Banks 5 and Eugeni 4.


3/30/61, LMT

Mrs. Minnie Eugeni, widow of Costanzo Eugeni, died at her home on Pearl Street early Tuesday morning, March 28. She had been in failing health for some time.

Mrs. Eugeni was born in Andover, N.J., June 17, 1874, a daughter of John Henry and Amelia Kimball Meeker. She and her late husband, who died in June, 1959, came to live in Livingston manor more than 50 years ago.

Surviving are a son, Carl Eugeni and a daughter, Mrs. Lois Anderson; three grandsons; Carl Eugeni, Jr., Robert Eugeni and David Anderson; one granddaughter, Linda Anderson; all of Livingston Manor; two sisters, Mrs. Linne Bell of Newton and Bessie Meeker of Dover, N.J.; also a brother, Austin Meeker of Johnson City, N.Y.

Interment in Orchard Street Cemetery


6/29/61, LMT

Mr. and Mrs. Carl Eugeni held open house Saturday evening after commencement exercises at LMCS in honor of their son, Carl, who was one of the graduates. He received the John Philip Sousa Band award. Sponsored by Siegel’s Department Store. This was the first occasion here of this award. Carl’s name will honor first place on the bronze plague to be placed in the school. He also received a Perseverance Award provided by the class of 1960. Carl has been accepted at Broome Technical Community College where he will study electrical technology.


1/30/64, LMT

Carl L Eugeni Jr., AF is home on 15 days’ leave from Lackland Air Force Base after which he will go to Waco, Texas and report to James Connally AFB where he will attend training school for 54 weeks to become a flight navigator


2/6/64, LMT

Airman Carl L Eugeni Jr., left on Wednesday, January 29, for Waco, Texas where he will train for flight navigator. While on leave he was given a welcome home party by the Clark sisters at the home of their parents, Mr. and Mrs. Cecil Clark. It was a happy get-together for about 25 of Carl’s friends.


2/13/64, LMT

Robert Eugeni was given a party February 1 by the Allen brothers, Shandelee Road to celebrate his 19th birthday. He has joined the Air Force and left on Wednesday for Lackland Air Base, Texas, where he will first have eight weeks’ training in mechanics.


2/27/64, LMT

James Connally AFB, Texas – Aviation Cadet Carl L Eugeni, son of Mr. and Mrs. Carl Eugeni of Livingston Manor has entered United States Air Force navigator training at James Connally AFB Texas.

Cadet Eugeni will receive radar and celestial navigation training in Air Force T-29 Flying Classroom aircraft. He will be awarded the silver wings of a navigator and a commission as a second lieutenant upon completion of the course.

The cadet, a graduate of Livingston Manor Central School, attended Broome Technical Community College, Binghamton, prior to entering in the air Force.


7/16/64, LMT

Airman Robert Eugeni arrived home Wednesday on 20 days leave from Chanute Air Field, Rantoul, Ill. He came in to Newark Airport and was met by his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Carl Eugeni. He will go from here to several weeks at home convalescing.


7/28/66, LMT

“S/Sgt Willard Green and A-2-C Robert Eugeni, both stationed at Cam Rhan Bay, South Vietnam, have been unable to get together but are hoping to meet in the near future.”


9/22/66, LMT

“Airman Carl Eugeni has returned to their home in Columbus, Ohio, after a visit here with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Carl Eugeni.”


6/29/67, LMT

“A/C and Mrs. Carl Eugeni spent a week with his parents Mr. and Mrs. Carl Eugeni. A/C Robert Eugeni, another son of the elder Eugenis from Andrews Air Force Base, Washington, D.C., was here for the weekend. All attended the graduation of David Anderson.”


12/18/69, LMT

“Mrs. Alice Eugeni, Mrs. Arvella Smith and Mrs. Norvin Fries were at the Imogene Bassett Hospital on Thursday where they underwent observation and tests, all returning to their home the same day. Mr. Norvin Fries accompanied the ladies to Cooperstown.” 25-46


6/11/70, LR [Liberty Register]

…28. Eugeni, Minnie Estate, great lot 4, bounded north & south by Johnston, east be Eugeni, west by Pearl Street, 40x100 ft.


7/1/71, LMT

Best wishes to Mr. and Mrs. Carl Eugeni who celebrated their 35th wedding anniversary on Sunday, June 27. Mr. and Mrs. Eugeni were guests of Pat Krum, held at the Methodist Church where Miss Krum gave Mrs. Eugeni a beautiful corsage and Mr. Eugeni a boutonniere. Another guest, Mrs. Sylvia Frattarelli was also given a corsage in honor of her birthday.


4/13/72, LEN [Liberty Evening News]

Sullivan County this summer will present a much better appearance to the public as a result of the tearing down of many unsightly structures through the Federal Emergency Employment Act…

Rockland Supervisor Cecil Stewart Friday disclosed that the old Brick Hotel on Main Street and the former Eugeni house on Pearl Street had been torn down under the program…


4/13/72, LEN

The house on Pearl Street, formerly belonging to the late Carl Eugeni Sr., was torn down last week by the same group who demolished the Newman building. The Pearl Street house was owned by Peter Aikens many years ago, who probably was the one who had it built. [C Eugeni not Carl]


2/5/76, LEN

Carl Eugeni Jr., of Sunnyvale, Calf., and Robert Eugeni of Camp Springs, Ma., were here to attend the retirement dinner for their father, Carl Eugeni, Dr., on Friday January 30 at Kings Catering House. Mr. Eugeni had been with the NYD Electric & Gas Company for the past 29 years. He was presented with several gifts from the Company and friends. Robert returned to his home on Tuesday and Carl Jr., returned to California on Thursday of this week after spending a few days with their parents.


11/1/77, LEN

The Carl Eugeni home is having aluminum siding put on it giving it an attractive improvement.


9/7/81, Community Herald

“It was business as usual and business unusual when the Town of Rockland Democratic Committee held an open caucus on Monday night, August 24.

“The published purpose of the caucus was to nominate candidates for several offices in the upcoming election but not until after the secretary of the committee and member for 35 years resigned in a dramatic and effective gesture. Also the acting president of the committee revealed that the reason he was ‘acting president’ was that the president had resigned by letter 3 days earlier.

“Ray Pomeroy called the session to order at 8 p.m. Leonard Welter then addressed the assembly. He recalled a time when people would point to him and say “that’s what a Democrat looks like.” He pointed out how for the first time in his memory the town board was split 2 to 2 when the Republican supervisor recently resigned. Then he unloaded his surprise package. He referred to the vacancy created when a Republican resigned and the board was even. In his opinion, this was the time to fight for a Democratic supervisor. “Let the Republicans be great statesmen and give in to our candidate for the sake of the town” he suggested.

“Instead of standing firm on their candidate, both Democratic councilmen yielded… The Republican candidate was elected.

“Leonard Welter stood up, resigned his position as secretary to the Town of Rockland Democratic Committee, walked up to the head table, picked up his things and walked out.

“Ray Pomeroy, taken by surprise, invited both councilmen to speak in rebuttal.

“Gil Decker said he thought he did right. He wanted to avoid the cost of a special election just a month or so before a regular election. He felt the town needed to be represented by a supervisor.

“Bill Roberts said they even tried “offering another man – just for the unexpired term, after we established our first choice wouldn’t get enough votes” He said he felt it was in the best interest of the town.

“Ron Marks asked if every time there was a split decision did they intend to back down?

“’No,’ said Bill Roberts.

“’Why this time then?’ asked Marks...

“Ray Pomeroy read the letter Carl Eugeni had written to Fred Stabbert, Chairman of the Sullivan County Democratic Committee in which Carl said simply his resignation as president of the Town of Rockland Democratic Committee was effective as of August 21. No explanation was offered in the letter…

[Accompanying Photo]  “Ray Pomeroy double checks each count as Ron Marks and Harold Madison tally the ballots cast by registered Democrats for the two available Town Council seats.”





Constanzo Eugeni


1915 census

C Eugeni – 33

Born 1882 –Italy

Number of years in US – 9 [1906]

Minnie Eugeni – 41

Carl Eugeni – 3


1915 – shoemaker

1930 – jewelry store

1930 – owned residence



Manor Building Dates [I’m just begun this project of dating village buidings]


Aiken – P B Aikens from Theodore Anderson, Pearl Street [Eugeni]; 1898

Aiken – P B Aikens house sold to J C Brown, moved back from street, Pearl Street; 1902

Anderson – Theodore Anderson, lot across from Donahue, Pearl Street [Eugeni]; 1897


Eugeni – Constanza Eugeni, Pearl Street [old school house] moved by J C Brown; 1902

Eugeni – C Eugeni, buys from W R Woolsey, Pearl Street [old school house]; 1917

Eugeni – C Eugeni, store, Pearl Street; 1923



Fifty Years Ago [my stuff for Harold’s website]


Before becoming employed by the New York Gas & Electric Company, Carl Eugeni spent time behind the lens of his camera, recording images of local events and people during the years of the 1930s through the 1950s. Many of his images can be found in the period’s local newspapers, undersigned with the byline “Photo by C Eugeni.”


Carl’s parents, father Constanzo, an Italian immigrant, and his wife, Minnie, came to Livingston Manor in 1911, renting the house on Fontana’s flat. A shoemaker by trade, C. Eugeni opened a shoemaking and repair shop in the Hoos building. When the couple purchased the former Aikens building on lower Pearl Street in 1917, C. Eugeni moved his shoemaking shop into their new residence. As the business prospered, C. Eugeni purchased the vacant lot across the street from his residence and in 1923 erected a new shop. With the more spacious quarters, Eugeni got into other lines of merchandise, notably jewelry and watches along with novelties and stationary. Becoming associated with the American News Company in 1932, a national periodical distributor company, Eugeni built an addition onto his shop to handle the new stock of magazines, comic books and other newsstand items.


Beginning with the small “C Eugeni Shoemaking & Repair” shop in a corner of the Hoos building, the larger business had now became “C. Eugeni & Son” as Carl became a partner. Now included amongst the line of store’s merchandise were musical instruments, Kodak cameras and photo supplies. And of course, there was a new line of shoes. After graduating from Livingston Manor High School in 1930, Carl operated the gas station at Jacktown, became a park ranger at the Beaverkill State Park and played in dance bands that performed at local hotels and boarding houses. Carl found time to photograph the local events, the people and places. Besides providing images for newspapers, one collection of his work are a series of local restaurants and taverns photographs which were used by applicants when applying for liquor licenses.


Carl retired from New York State Electric & Gas in 1976.



Sixty years Ago [more of my dribble for Harold’s website]


For sixty-seven years, student athletes from the Livingston Manor school participated in team sports against neighboring high schools as part of the interscholastic athletic organization known as the Western Sullivan League. Throughout that period, in the spirit of competition, friendly school rivalries, lifelong friendships, and glory-day memories were established amongst the competing high school athletes and throughout neighboring communities. For the most part, these Western Sullivan League teams were relatively evenly matched, regardless of the size of the school. One school’s success on the athletic field, dominating the league in a particular sport for a short period of years, would soon be felled by an equally competitive team from a neighboring school, and so on. During the winter of 1962, the Livingston Manor Central School’s basketball team was the league’s dominant team as the boys attempted to capture their third straight Western Sullivan League’s basketball championship.


Led by the on-court generalship of Johnny Dumond and high-scoring center Richard Robinson, the Manor Wildcat basketball team captured the WSL championships and Section IX titles in grand style during both the 1959-60 and 1960-61 basketball seasons, going undefeated in both campaigns as the team rung up an impressive thirty-eight consecutive victories. With the graduation of Dumond and Robinson, along with fellow classmate Charlie Banks, the Manor 1961-62 basketball team was now led by high-scorers John Hoos and Richard Welch along with the strong underneath presence of Harold VanAken. But with the loss of Robinson and Banks, along with tall Carl Eugeni through graduation, Manor’s continued dominance on the basketball court was not a sure thing. Other teams in the league also had talented players, as well as a couple of teams holding a height advantage over the Manor five. This became apparent with the first head-to-head meeting with arch-rival, the Roscoe Blue-Devils, led by their big center, Bruce Lamb. On the evening of December 19, the teams played an overtime thriller with the Blue-Devils finally coming out on top. The Wildcat’s winning basketball streak ended at 42 games, one win short of the then scholastic record.


 Also in early April of 1972, on the lot directly behind the Johnston building, the old Constanzo Eugeni residence was also leveled. The Eugeni residence is noteworthy for it was formerly, as told to me a number of years ago by long-time resident Odie Hoos, a portion of the original village school that was located on Rock Avenue. With the building of the Union Free School in 1901 on the same Rock Avenue location, the old school was lifted and rolled off to the side to allow the new school’s construction. The old school was then auctioned off in two sections. Josiah Brown, prominent local contractor during this era, purchased the large section and relocated it onto the lower Pearl Street lot.